David Dirks is a outdoor writer and columnist for The Times Herald Record in Westton, NY. He is working on a book using the insights of actual tenkara anglers here in the US. When I got a note from David asking if I would be willing to share my experiences on tenkara fishing, I was quick to say yes.
Now David’s book has been sent off to the editor and he sent a copy of the cover and the table of contents so I could give you a sneak peek.
Tenkara Fly Fishing Insights and Strategies
1. Ancient Tenkara: A Short History
Short history of tenkara fly fishing
2. The Essence of Tenkara Fly Fishing
3. Tenkara Fly Rods
Selecting Tenkara Rods
4. Tenkara Lines & Tippets
5. Casting techniques for Tenkara
6. Tenkara Flies: Traditional Flair with Practical Applications
Insights for fishing traditional tenkara fly patterns
Match-the-hatch versus traditional tenkara one fly
Tenkara Advantage: The art & science of manipulating the fly
Other fly pattern applications for tenkara (traditional American dry flies, nymphs, streamers and bucktails)
7. Tenkara Fly Patterns: Traditional meets Non-Traditional
8. Fishing with Tenkara (Note: focuses on how to fish each of the following types of water effectively using tenkara equipment)
9. Tenkara Fishing Strategies for Small Water
10. Tenkara Strategies For Larger Water
11 . Tenkara Strategies for Fighting Fish
12. About Our Tenkara Contributors
This will be a great book for all tenkara fans and those wanting to learn about tenkara. It is expected to be available by the end of March and will be both in print and ebook.