Most of my fly-fishing is in daylight. But experience has taught me that when you need a light you don’t want to fool around.
Since my search and rescue days I’ve always had a headlamp in my kit. They are essential gear for that and for most of my camping trips. Truth be told they are pretty handy for skunk patrol when Lily takes her evening turn around the backyard.
When I came across the BioLite HeadLamp 200 I was intrigued enough to buy one and give it a try. I’m happy I did.
The BioLite HeadLamp 200 has a lot going for it.
- First of all it is comfortable and extremely light weight (under 2 oz.) I wear it with a hat and hardly notice it.
- The 200 lumen spotlight is very bright. At full power it illuminates a good distance (about 150′ +/-.)
- The brightness adjusts easily if you want to conserve power or reduce the illumination.
- It’s rechargeable via a USB. It’s a micro port so keep track of the cord.
- The headband is super easy to adjust, making it quick and easy to accommodate my head or hats as need be.
- The light has detents in four positions so when you set it it stays put.
- There is a red light setting if you need to preserve you night vision while reading.
- You can activate a strobe setting for both the white or red light. A good safety feature if you want to get attention.
- It can be easily locked in the off position to prevent it from accidentally discharging.
- It’s water resistant (IPX4) which means you don’t want to dunk it in the water. If it’s raining, I’d cover it from above. I wear mine under the bill of my ball cap and it pretty comfortable.
BioLite has an informative video showing all the features of the light.
The run time is listed as three hours at full brightness and 40 hours at lowest setting. I bought a BioLite Charge 40 PD as a backup power source to go with my backcountry kit. It’s a little added insurance and can be used for my iPhone, which I use for photos and navigation.
I like buying stuff from companies that do good deeds, BioLite is no exception. According to their website: “When you purchase an item from BioLite, a part of that sale is re-invested into our work in sub-Saharan Africa. Together, we have helped over a million people cook, charge, and light daily life with products that enable families to feel safe, nourished, and connected.”
Here’s to a bright future (I couldn’t resist.)
Disclosure: I paid retail price for these products. I did not get a pro-deal nor any form of compensation for this review.