NOAA’s Eric Schwaab
Ned Desmond from GoFISHn.com has posted his three part interview with Eric Schwaab, NOAA’s assistant administrator for fisheries. I wrote about Eric when he was appointed and as you will see in Desmond’s interview Schwaab is a not only a thoughtful leader but a vocal champion of recreational fishing.
Desmond and Schwaab discuss many the pressing issues of concern to saltwater recreational anglers. It is a comprehensive look at the work NOAA is doing and what it means for recreational fishing.
Here is a list of the topics they discuss:
- Fishery closures
- Stock assessment data and budgets
- Better management practices
- Re-authorization of Magnuson-Stevens Act
- Possible revisions to the act
- Economic impact of closures
- Why did NMFS fall behind in stock assessments?
- More on budgets for stock assessments
- Meeting with Senator Schumer and angler constituents in New York
- NOAA enforcement review and the Inspector General’s Reports
- Oceans Policy Taskforce
- NOAA’s legacy